I know lots of Paladins that have taken jewelcrafting as their profession, as the gem bonuses offer a nice little DPS boost. I, as a blacksmith and miner, am not privileged to these nice little perks, but my mage is. I took up JC with her to be able to cut my own gems, and to make a little gold on the side. Only I didn’t make a little gold, I made ALOT of gold. Over the past week, I had gone from around 24k gold to 34k gold. This is a combo of all my AH toons and incomes (including dailies), but a good chunk of it has come from JC.
I buy anywhere from 10 to 40 stacks of Saronite Ore at less than or equal to 17g/stack. I then prospect each and everyone of them, with intention to sell the rare gems and make necks or rings to DE and sell the mats…here is what I do (values are approximate):
- Sell Scarlet Ruby (70g), Twilight Opal (10g), Forest Emerald (7g), Autumn’s Glow (15g), Monarch Topaz (12g), and Sky Sapphire (5g).
- Make the following jewelry: Bloodstone Band, Crystal Chalcedony Amulet, Crystal Citrine Necklace, Sun Rock Ring. (Each requires 2x Crystallized Earth in adition to the one gem)
- DE the jewelery and sell Infinite Dust (4g/each), Greater Cosmic Essence (10g/each), and Small Dream Shard (6g/per).
- Store the Dark Jade and Shadow Crystal for future use as they currently do not make me much money. If I get a large amount, I may just sell the stack(s) for the vendor 5g/stack.
Here is my last recount:
- Buy 27 stacks Saronite Ore(15g x 10 stacks, 17g x 17 stacks = 439g)
- Buy 14 Eternal Earth (6g x 14 = 84g) (Broken down to 10x Crystallized Earth each)
- Total spent = 523g
Here is what I got from the prospecting:
- 5x Scarlet Ruby
- 6x Monarch Topaz
- 5x Sky Sapphire
- 7x Forest Emerald
- 5x Autmun’s Glow
- 5x Twilight Opal
- 22x Chalcedony
- 21x Huge Citrine
- 19x Bloodstone
- 17x Sun Crystal
Jewelry disenchanted into:
- 84x Infinite Dust
- 9x Greater Cosmic Essence
- 1x Small Dream Shard
After making the jewelry and disenchanting, here is what I sold (and it all sold by the 48 hour mark):
- Scarlet Ruby (65g) x5 = 325g
- Monarch Topaz (12g) x 6 = 72g
- Sky Sapphire (4.5g) x 5 = 22.5g
- Forest Emerald (5.5g) x 7 = 38.5g
- Autumn’s Glow (15g) x5 = 75g
- Twilight Opal (11g) x 5 = 55g
- Infinite Dust (4g) x 84 = 336g
- Greater Cosmic Essence (9.5g) x 9 = 85.5g
All this for a grand total of 1009.5g. That’s a profit of 486.5g for about 20 minutes of work! I have done this each night for the past 8 days. My totals of profit were as follows:
- Monday – 20 stacks of ore, 343.5g profit
- Tuesday – 35 stacks of ore, 732g profit (lots of Scarlet Rubies this batch)
- Wednesday – 18 stacks of ore, 194g profit
- Thursday – 50 stacks of ore, 1186g profit
- Friday – 40 stacks of ore, 910.5g profit
- Saturday – 35 stacks of ore, 695g profit
- Sunday – 22 stacks of ore, 407g profit
- Monday – 27 stacks of ore, 486.5g profit
Grand total over 8 days: 4954.5g! Let’s just round that off and say 5000g! Not too shabby. Alot of this depends on luck, mainly getting Scarlet Rubies and Infinite Dust/Lesser Cosmic Essence x2 procs…but there is money to be made!
I know I could probably cut the gems and sell them for more, but I have found that selling the raw gem by itself has a much higher turnover rate (people buying to cut themselves because it’s cheaper, people leveling JC, and people buying raw gems to cut and sell for profit).
I know there are other facets to making gold with jewelcrafting, but this is my way, and so far, with the WoW economy prices as they are, it’s working!