Patch 4.0 is finally here! The version we are getting is Patch 4.0.1, and Retribution Paladins got their world flipped upside down. Gone is the ease of face rolling DPS, and in comes the era of Holy Power, with it’s cohort of reliant abilities. I am stoked, are you?
This site is going to require some massive updating since many of my guides and posts are relevant to WotLK talents and abilities. The leveling experience will change as well. I will be continuously updating content so that it is current, so keep checking back to keep current on the changes!
Keep in mind some things can’t and won’t change until Cataclysm, so that content is likely to stay the same.
Now, without further adieu, let’s get into the Patch 4.0.1 Retribution Paladin notes! As usual my source is MMO Champion, and some of this, plus the full notes on all the classes can be found at MMO Champion [Source]. I have added relevant information to our class notes as well.
Retribution Paladins Patch 4.0.1
Choosing a Spec
At level 10, you will be required to choose a spec. Retribution, Holy, and Protection are your options, and with them come passive abilities specific to the tree you choose. The abilties specific to the Retribution Tree are:
- [Templar's Verdict] – An instant weapon attack that causes a percentage of weapon damage. Consumes all charges of Holy Power to increase damage dealt: 1 Holy Power: 30% Weapon Damage 2 Holy Power: 90% Weapon Damage 3 Holy Power: 225% Weapon Damage / 1 Mana, 5 yd range, Instant cast
- [Judgements of the Bold] – Your Judgement grants you 25% of your base mana over 10 sec.
- [Sheath of Light] – Increases your spell power by an amount equal to 30% of your attack power and increases your chance to hit with spells by 6%.
- [Two-Handed Weapon Specialization] – Increases the damage you deal with two-handed melee weapons by 20%.
- [Hand of Light] – Your autoattacks have a 8% chance to grant Hand of Light, causing your next Holy Power ability to consume no Holy Power and to cast as if 3 Holy Power were consumed. Each point of Mastery increases the chance by an additional 1%.
Paladin Mechanics Change [Source]
- Holy Power – This is a new resource which works similarly to combo points. Paladins will generally want to build up Holy Power until it shines through with a bright yellow glowing effect. Once Holy Power has been built up, it can be consumed to augment existing abilities. For example, Word of Glory can be used to cast an instant-cast free heal. This gives paladins several options for how to spend their Holy Power, depending on the scenario.
EDIT: Lucent brought up a good point…[Arbiter of Light] or [Judgements of the Pure] at level 80? For the moment I am going with Judgements of the Pure as that will be a constant 9% haste when in combat. This could change with testing, but for now that’s the road I am taking.
Some of our abilities were changed. It just so happens that the changes happened to the largest parts of our DPS arsenal.
- [Avenging Wrath] use is no longer restricted by Divine Shield, Divine Protection, or Hand of Protection, or of using Lay on Hands on oneself.
- [Seal of Vengeance] is now [Seal of Truth], now deals [ ( 12.5% of AP + 12.5% of Spell Power ) ], up from [ 13% of AP + 6.5% of Spell Power]. Now deals 16% weapon damage when stacked 5 times, down from 33% weapon damage.
- [Blessing of Might] now also restores mana every 5 sec (Blessing of Wisdom effect). Now automatically affects party or raid members.
- [Judgement] is now the same spell for all Seals. Unleashes the energy of a Seal to judge an enemy for Holy damage. 5% of base mana, 10 yd range, Instant cast, 8 sec cooldown
- [Crusader Strike] is now a baseline skill. Now deals 120% weapon damage, up from 75% weapon damage. Grants a charge of Holy Power. Cost changed to 10% of base mana, down from 5% of base mana. Cooldown increased from 4 sec to 4.5 sec.
- [Divine Storm] is now a Tier 3 talent, down from Tier 11. No longer costs mana. Now affects all enemies within 8 yards instead of just 4. Now deals damage based on Holy Power: 1 Holy Power: 22% Weapon Damage, 2 Holy Power: 74% Weapon Damage, 3 Holy Power: 150% Weapon Damage.
- [Sanctified Wrath] is now a Tier 4 talent, down from Tier 8. Increases critical strike chance of Hammer of Wrath by 20/40%, down from 25/50%. Reduces the cooldown of Avenging Wrath by 20 secs, down from 30 secs. No longer causes damage to bypass damage reduction effects while under Avenging Wrath. Now allows the use of Hammer of Wrath at all times during Avenging Wrath.
- [The Art of War] is now a Tier 3 talent, down from Tier 7. Revamped – Your autoattacks have a 7/14/20% chance to make your next Exorcism instant, free and cause 100% additional damage.
- [Repentance] is now a Tier 5 talent, down from Tier 7.
- [Judgements of the Wise] is now a Tier 2 and 1 Rank talent, down from Tier 7 and 3 Ranks. Now also causes your auras increase your party and raid’s damage dealt by 3% and your damage by an additional 2%. Replenishment effect now regenerates 1% of the maximum mana per 10 sec, down from 1% per 5 sec. No longer grants you 25% of your base mana.
- [Divine Purpose] is now a Tier 5 talent, down from Tier 6. Revamped – The following attacks have a 20% chance to generate Holy Power: Judgement, Exorcism, Templar’s Verdict, Divine Storm, Inquisition, Holy Wrath
- [Eye for an Eye] is now a Tier 1 talent, down from Tier 4. All magic attacks against you have a 20/40% chance to cause 30% of the damage taken back to the attacker as well.
- [Sanctity of Battle] is now a 1 Rank talent, down from 3 Ranks. Revamped – Haste effects lower the cooldown of your Crusader Strike.
- [Crusade] is now a Tier 1 talent, down from Tier 4. Revamped – Increases the damage of your Crusader Strike, Hammer of the Righteous and Templar’s Verdict by 10/20/30% and the damage and healing of your Holy Shock by 10/20/30%.
- [Seal of Command] is now a Tier 4 talent, up from Tier 3. No longer an active seal. Revamped – Your Seal of Righteousness, Seal of Truth and Seal of Justice now also deal 7% weapon damage each time you swing. In addition, your Seal of Righteousness now hits up to 2 additional targets.
- [Pursuit of Justice] is now a Tier 2 talent, down from Tier 3. No longer reduces the duration of Disarm effects. Now has a 50/100% chance to grant a charge of Holy Power when struck by a Stun, Fear or Immobilize effect.
- [Zealotry] – Your Crusader Strike generates 3 charges of Holy Power per strike for the next 20 sec. / 3 Mana, Instant cast, 2 min cooldown
- [Inquiry of Faith] – Increases the periodic damage done by your Seal of Truth by 10/20/30%, and the duration of your Inqusition by 50/100/150%.
- [Acts of Sacrifice] – Decreases the cooldown by 10/20% and mana cost by 10/20% of your Hand of Freedom, Hand of Salvation and Hand of Sacrifice.
- [Selfless Healer] – When you heal others with your Word of Glory, it increases the effectiveness of the heal by 25/50% and increases your damage done by 2/4% per charge of Holy Power for 10 sec.
- [Rebuke] – Interrupts spellcasting and prevents any spell in that school from being cast for 4 sec. / 10% of base mana, 5 yd range, Instant cast, 10 sec cooldown
- [Long Arm of the Law] – Your Judgement has a 50/100% chance to increase your movement speed by 45% for 4 sec when used on targets at or further than 15 yards from you.
- [Guardian's Favor] – Reduces the cooldown of your Hand of Protection by 60 sec/2 min and increases the duration of your Hand of Freedom by 2 sec/4 sec.
- [Rule of Law] – Increases the critical effect chance of your Crusader Strike, Hammer of the Righteous and Word of Glory by 5/10/15%.
- [Improved Judgement] is now a Tier 1 talent, down from Tier 2. Now increases the range of your Judgement by 10/20 yards instead of reducing its cooldown.
- Righteous Vengeance has been removed from the tree.
- Swift Retribution has been removed from the tree.
- Crusader Strike is gone. Now a baseline skill.
- Sheath of Light is gone. Now a primary spell.
- Fanaticism has been removed from the tree.
- Sanctified Wrath is now a Tier 4,
- Vengeance is gone.
- Two-Handed Weapon Specialization is gone. Now a primary spell.
- Sanctified Retribution has been removed from the tree.
- Vindication has been removed from the tree.
- Conviction has been removed from the tree.
- Heart of the Crusader has been removed from the tree.
- Improved Blessing of Might has been removed from the tree.
- Deflection has been removed from the tree.
- Benediction has been removed from the tree.
Protection Talents for Ret
Holy Talents for Ret
Changes Post 4.0.1
There will continue to be changes after Patch 4.0.1 is released, and you can find those changes here:
(Wowhead has not updated the spells as of 10/17/10, so when you hover over the abilities, the info isn’t current. The changes I listed are.)
- [Hammer of Wrath] base damage has been increased by 300%. [1253 to 1385] to [4890 to 5404]
- [Crusader Strike] now deals 150% weapon damage, up from 120%.
- [Holy Wrath] base damage has been increased by 30%.
- [Exorcism] now scales from 15% of Spell Power or AP, down from 22,5%. Base damage increased by 30%.
Retribution Paladin Glyphs
Here are the top 3 glyphs for each Ret Paladin glyph category. These are what I will be using for DPS and raiding until Cataclysm launches. These may change, but at the current time seem to be the best options: (Edited 10/14/10)
Here are all of the Paladin glyphs that can be found in Patch 4.0.1.
Paladin Prime Glyphs
- [Glyph of Crusader Strike]
- [Glyph of Divine Favor]
- [Glyph of Exorcism]
- [Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous]
- [Glyph of Holy Shock]
- [Glyph of Judgement]
- [Glyph of Seal of Insight]
- [Glyph of Seal of Truth]
- [Glyph of Shield of the Righteous]
- [Glyph of Templar's Verdict]
- [Glyph of Word of Glory]
Paladin Major Glyphs
- [Glyph of Beacon of Light]
- [Glyph of Cleansing]
- [Glyph of Consecration]
- [Glyph of Dazing Shield]
- [Glyph of Divine Plea]
- [Glyph of Divine Protection]
- [Glyph of Divinity]
- [Glyph of Focused Shield]
- [Glyph of Hammer of Justice]
- [Glyph of Hammer of Wrath]
- [Glyph of Holy Wrath]
- [Glyph of Light of Dawn]
- [Glyph of Rebuke]
- [Glyph of Salvation]
- [Glyph of the Ascetic Crusader]
- [Glyph of the Long Word]
- [Glyph of Turn Evil]
Paladin Minor Glyphs