Retribution Paladin Glyphs

Retribution Paladin Glyphs are current as of Patch 5.4 (Siege of Orgrimmar). The entire Glyph system has been revamped, with many new and many altered Retribution Paladin Glyphs.  Let’s go over some of the new changes:

• There are now 2 Minor Glyph sockets, 3 Major Glyph sockets, and Prime Glyphs has been removed.
  • Many glyphs have been revamped.  Some have been removed all together.
  • The way you acquire glyphs and use them has changed.  To learn a glyph permanently, you must purchase or make the glyph, then right click to learn. This will add it to your Glyph Book. You won’t have to purchase the glyph again, and it can be used and re-used as needed.
  • To replace an existing glyph, a Vanishing Powder reagent must be used.

Essentially, we get 3 extra glyphs to help us out.  I will list what I currently believe to be Best in Slot Ret Paladin glyphs.  Before all chaos ensues, know that this is the first list I am posting.  This is definitely going to change is our DPS is hashed out.  I am closely watching Elitist Jerks and other Ret forums to provide you guys with the best info possible.

NOTE: It is MUCH easier to swap glyphs out now.  I expect us to have a set for AoE, bosses, PvP, 5-mans, etc.  As our situational combat experiences evolve, we will get a much clearer picture of what our glyph sets will be.  For instance, in a 10 man raid, you may encounter 6 pulls of trash before the boss.  If these pulls are mostly AoE, you will be using your AoE glyph set.  Once you get to the boss, it’s back to the single target glyph set.  I am predicting now that prior to each boss fight, raid leaders will be calling out glyph swaps as their part of their routine ready checks!

Ret Paladin Prime Glyphs

One major change comes with WoW patch 5.4 is that Prime Glyphs are no more exist!

Ret Paladin Major Glyphs

• [Glyph of Double Jeopardy] – Increases damage of next Judgment by 20%, but only if next Judge used on different target. Good for multiple targets.
  • [Glyph of Divine Protection] – Reduces magic reduction of DP by 20% and adds 20% physical damage reduction.
  • [Glyph of Divine Storm] – Heals player for 5% of your maximum health.
  • [Glyph of Mass Exorcism] – Turns Exorcism into a melee range AoE and causes 25% damage to all targets within 10 yards of primary target.. Very useful Glyph.
  • [Glyph of Templar’s verdict] – Take 10% damage reduction after using Templar’s Verdict or Exorcism, very good survivability boost.
  • [Glyph of Immediate Truth] – This will increase instant damage of SoT by 40%, but reduces Censure by 50%. Be careful on this one!
  • [Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice] – Prevents the caster from taking any transferred damage, this will make your use of Hand of Sacrifice safer.
  • [Glyph of Word of Glory] – Increases your damage by 3% per holy power spent after you cast WoG or Eternal Flame. Lasts for 6 seconds.

Ret Paladin Minor Glyphs

Minor Glyphs will not be discussed in details here as they are cosmetic and have no effect at all on your play style. But here are a couple of optional ones.

1. [Glyph of the Righteous Retreat] – Increases the speed of your Hearthstone by 50%.
  2. [Glyph of the Falling Avenger] – Reduces falling damage.

Comments

1. incrusiable says:

i really have to say no about the concecration glyph now i know that that it conserves mana and clash decisions but i personally am doing great without it and one thing u have to know about it is that when you use it it increase the time but not the damage so your doing the same amount of damage over a longer time therefore your actually losing dps

2. Khor says:

I agree with you, in that it makes the damage last longer, but still delivers the same damage. The damage is not increased. When you look at it this way, ultimately, it does appear to be a DPS loss.

However, Consecration Glyph is designed to reduce the cooldown clashing with other abilities, allowing for more frequent use of the other, higher DPS abilities in our FCFS rotation. This is what allows for a higher DPS with COncecration Glyph.

I have tested both out in raids, and I personally see a small DPS increase with the glyph. However, it’s not enough to significantly put me up or down on the DPS charts either way. The other glyph options are very sad, which would be Glyph of SoV or Glyph of SoC, so pick your poison 🙂

3. incrusiable says:

i like exorcism because with the way i have my bars set up i haveit to where i can do cs, judge, ds, cs, conce, exorcism, cs, judge, ds, cs, conc, and by this time i need a heal or mana so i pop a heal or arcane torrent/divine plea. so since exorcism is use alot i feal it help me to have that glyph.

4. Khor says:

Same for me. I opt for the exorcism glyph instead of the SoV glyph.

5. Now that the new ICC raids are out. Basically almost every enemy is classified as undead. What do you think of the Holy Wrath glyph? Decreasing the CD by 15 seconds. I know mana might be an issue but I was curious about it.

6. Sion says:

For the off-spec ret like myself who is struggling to get gear I would recommend the SoV glyph. I finally reached the hit cap but then started to notice how the lack of expertise was causing a loss in DPS, the SoV glyph somewhat helped me out here.

As Khor mentioned, having the Conscecrate glyph does free up/prolong a cooldown (otherwise used for a Conscecrate refresh), but if you cant guarantee your CS or DS will hit then you definately need to reach the Expertise cap and the SoV glyph is a good way to do that.

As an end note, Glyph of Might is nice. If like me you forget to refresh every 10mins this glyph also saves on reagents.

7. Syñ says:

In response to Taddeous’s question, I tested it out in icc trash pulls and it eats more mana then it’s worth. And honestly, the cd on it (the way it is) allows for you to get mana back before casting the next 1. Ofcourse I only use holy wrath on trash pulls and festergut reason being if there’s not more the 2 mobs present it’s a waste, and festergut becuase with our rotation there are dead points where nothing is up to use just to squeeze out a lol more extra damage(and divine plea is a must if you’re using holy wrath on a boss fight).

8. Thazzos says:

The thing about consecration with this glyph as i have seen pally tanks use is that it increase the time it last and cd which gives 4 secs where the damage from the old consecrate and the new to overlap if u have recount and u pop cons. everytime the cd is up it will be ur biggest damage doer ( just like a tank )on huge mobs of mobs, with seal of command and DS 8-10k dps on the mobs b4 marrowgar should be real easy to obtain. Exorcism should not be used, ive hit over 12k on this trash, with out this glyph. by not wasting any GCD’s from single target attacks.
    HW, cons., CS, DS and auto attack then first come first serve but mana will be an issue

9. Panzertanker says:

Just wanted to drop a line…this site is great have a ret on wildhammer about5.4k gs and was getting out dps’ed by much lower ret pallys..reading the info her on rotation,and esp. tier bonuses
    I hope to inprove my dps…again Thanks alot
    need all the help I can get Panzertanker/wildhammer

10. Khor says:

Hey panzer, thanks! Glad you are enjoying the site. If there is anything further I can help with, please feel free to ask!

11. Daumier says:

Hi.

I got a ret pally on Azuremyst, EU.
    I’m thinking about The Conce glyph. Does the ability to time in other spells really increase DPS so much it’s worth having that glyph over Excorcism?
    It just feels like having excorcism is better, since I spam it all the time. Though saving up on mana would be nice.

12. Khor says:

Hey Daumier, the consecrate glyph works very well. It does save on mana quite well in longer fights.

In regards to Exorcism, it is our lowest damaging attack, and is usually second to last on the FCFS rotation list. If you are using 2 T10, then chances are you are using it even less now.

Most people opt to glyph vengeance instead of exorcism, but personally I don’t because I am expertise capped without it. It really depends on your gear choices.

Ranks:

1) Glyph of Judgement
    2) Glyph of Vengeance
    3) Glyph of Consecration
    4) Glyph of Exorcism

13. Peter says:

Noone using Glyph of hammer of wrath instead of Glyph of Vengeance?.

I am using Glyph of Hammer of Wrath ´cause it gives bonus dps when boss is on 20 % or less hp. We usually have BL at 20 % and using your Avenging Wrath when BL is popped together with trinkets ( If you have trinkets which you activate on your own ). Just a thought though. Would appreciate if you told me its crap or if its actually good. I am doing top dps in my guild so it cant really be that bad (c:

14. peter says:

Ofc writing when tired is pro.. I meant glyph of avenging wrath which reduce CD on Hammer on wrath with 3 sec when you have avenging wrath active

15. Sighs says:

With 2 t9 and 2 t10 set up I read consecrate is much lower on the priority list so is it time to replace that glyph?

Also I always use SOC i dont raid much but through out the 5 man dungeons I am doing 3.5k to 4.5k dps then after the last boss i drop to 3.1k or so

I have read its tough to do high dps on a single target. However if I use SOV the boss is dead too quick to really make a difference. doesn’t it take about 45 seconds for the 5 stacks to apply? So I am torn between my consecration glyph and picking up the SOV glyph

I suppose raiding would be a different story as the bosses are up longer

16. Suliso says:

Glyph of Cons actuallys increases Duration of cons right from 10 to 12 secs
    manacosts stay the same right?

So the dmg of the ticks isnt changing, but it adds 1 or 2 extra ticks cant say now cause I am @ work but I will test it when I am @ home

So what I wanted to say is

The glyph wont increase the dps of COns but it increases the overall dmg ^^

17. Zarga says:

The glyph won’t increase/decrease your DPS, it will just help conserve mana since you will have to spam Consecration less, being the mana hog that it is.

I personally use exorcism instead since I am expertise capped and don’t have mana issues.

Granted, the retadin is one of the easiest, if not THE easiest, dps to play right now so you have to always look for any tweaks that benefit the current gear/situation. Try not to get caught up in the simplicity of our class.

Believe it or not this is my first visit to the site and I love it. Keep up the great work!

18. Khor says:

@ Zarga – In agreement 100%. The 2 major Ret glyphs that are exchangeable are GoSoV and GoEx. If you are expertise capped without the glyph, the go ahead with exorcism. If not, then your glyphs should be GoJ, GoCons, GoSoV.

19. Carerra says:

So much incorrect info in these comments.

Use Judgement and Consecration glyphs no matter what, those are your two core glyphs and should never be swapped for anything. The mana conservation from the Glyph of Consecrate is secondary to the DPS increase from less GCD clashes. And even if you cast Conc less because of 2PC T10, you still benefit from it by getting 2 more ticks out of each cast, which is a DPS boost vs unglyphed. And for those thinking that it’s the same overall damage just extended over two more seconds, you are incorrect, you get the same damage per tick as you would with an un-glyphed Consecrate, with the glyph, you just get two more ticks and the CD is extended to 10 seconds. Consecrate is also not restricted to the 10 target AoE cap that was recently introduced, so if you have lots of adds (eg trash before Sindragosa) you should bump conc up on your priority.

Lastly, if you are at 22 or less expertise, use Glyph of SoV, and only swap in Exo if you get above 22 expertise. Even if you are using only 4 expertise on the Glyph, it’s still better than the minor DPS increase you get with the Glyph of Exo.

Zarga, put your Conc Glyph back in over Exo, Consecrate has a higher priority than Exo, and you will get better DPS from switching out those glyphs.

20. Khor says:

Carerra, I think you might have mis-interpretted some of the comments. Zarga replaces GoSoV with Exo because he is expertise capped without it. I do the same.

You are right, the two staples are GoCons and GoJudge. GoSoV can be replaced by GoExo ONLY if you are expertise capped with gear alone.

All your info is correct of course, but I think the general message is still there…

21. Carerra says:

Zarga was replying to the comment before his about the Consecration Glyph, if my reading comprehension is accurate, he is using Exo over Conc because he doesn’t have mana issues, and that would be a mistake. He also mentions that he is expertise capped, so he is using Exo, Judgement and what else? There is only one Paladin named Zarga on wowarmory.com, and that Paladin uses Exo, Judgement, and HoW glyphs. I can only assume that is the same person.

And to be a nit picker because that’s kind of who I am, the very first comment said “one thing u have to know about it is that when you use it it increase the time but not the damage so your doing the same amount of damage over a longer time therefore your actually losing dps”

That was why I made sure to mention that you don’t do the same overall damage with conq just spread out over two more seconds (which would be a terrible, terrible glyph), it’s the same damage per tick, you just get two more for the same mana cost and the CD is increased to match the new 10 second duration.

22. Khor says:

Guess who misread the comments now?!?! LOL, sorry Carerra you are totally right. I misread that whole thing. I assumed he was talking about GoSoV and GoEx. I stand corrected, and my apologies. You are absolutely correct in your information and assessment!

23. Carerra says:

No problem. The funny thing about the Consecration Glyph and T10 is that it actually becomes more valuable when you get the two piece bonus. Before that set bonus, you could have close to 100% uptime on Consecration, regardless of the cool down, the glyph didn’t increase dps through Consecration itself, it was better CD collision with the 10 second CD.

However, with T10 two piece, you will not have close to 100% uptime on Consecrate, so every time you cast it, you are actually getting a noticeable DPS increase from consecrate itself vs un-glyphed as well as the better CD collision.

So oddly, even though you might use Consecrate less, the glyph is even more attractive because of that.

24. Aeoz says:

25. mcbsnke says:

Sighs said:

when doing heroics for bosses use SoR for single target u will see ur dps stay at 4.3k overall if u do that about maybe as low as 4k

26. Shaiel says:

“Yes the consecration glyph doesnt increase damage dealt by consecrate but it does add an extra 2 global cds before you have to reapply it which is where the dps increase comes from.”

100% false. Glyphed consecrate vs. unglyphed tick for the exact same amount.

27. Isilador says:

Also remember, the first tick on your consecration can be resisted, therefore by increasing the duration of consecration fewer ticks will be resisted resulting in a DPS increase. Also, with fewer clashes on CD’s you will actually gain up to 12 GCD’s per min (neglecting lag, reaction time and other factors and assuming 100% up-time on consecration), again resulting in a DPS increase. As mentioned above, glyph of consecration is a MUST have for ret pallys

28. Leorance says:

IF this whole talk is about conserving mana without sacrificing DPS, wouldnt Glyph of Crusader Strike be good? its our fastest CD and a main attack, saving 20% mana on it everytime seems worth it to me..

29. Isilador says:

The man you save is insignificant, 5% base mana would be reduced to 4%, resulting in a 1% base mana reduction, which is very underwhelming. I think this is about maximizing DPS? lol If so then using the consecration glyph will result in fewer CD clashes and more GCD’s available. This results in a net increase in DPS. And as a mentioned mobs can resist the first tick of consecration, and although it would be a minor increase the glyph would increase the damage done by consecration (fewer ticks being resisted)

30. Raynarra says:

I just have to say thank you for all the great info. It def helps and I feel I can advance with the toon 🙂

31. Mothenveld says:

Is the only place to got glyphs at an auction? I’m a lvl 21 pally and do not have near enough gold to buy a glyph at this point. 🙁

32. Joe says:

Seal of truth WORTHLESS!!! you do NOT I REPEAT DO NOT NEED EXPERTISE!!!!!!! Gah! That Is Tank CRAP Ret Means DAMAGE!!!! Sorry the build for glyphs is useful all except SOT glyph Worthless Things we ret pallys need to take into account is our mana reg is going to be gone with Judgement of Wisdom Being removed must focus on a new way to reduce mana cost at the same time without hurting our damage for Cataclysm plus not to metion our talents are going to be reduced I am still confused at the fact are going to have 31 talent points to deal out between all trees or just 31 in the ret tree total if someone can get back to me on that i would love a response thank you again for listing and this is Zonama from Kul Turis RET PALLYS RULE!!!!!!!

33. Exaflare says:

@Joe
    err
    Expertise Cap = Huge Damage boost
    nuff said

34. Exaflare says:

also, we still get the talented mana regen off our judgements, so we aren’t losing much.

nomnom endless mana potion >=D

35. Cylis says:

few questions on the new glyphs system:

If we purchase before the patch old glyphs that will be revamped/changed…will the scroll be changed as well and then we only need to learn it when the patch comes out?

For the glyphs we already have, do we need to purchase them again or the fact they are currently active in our book is enough and they will be considered as “already known”.

36. Khor says:

I believe that is how it will work Cylis. I bought up my stash of glyphs already 🙂

37. San says:

Hi Khor, thank you so much for all of the help you provide. I just wanted to let you know that you’ve got your Prime Glyphs labeled as Major and vice versa. 🙂

38. Sacredshade says:

I think [Glyph of Holy Wrath] – Now stuns elementals and dragonkin. I’m not sold on this at all, but if there are fights involving heavy dragonkin/elementals, this control method may see situational use.

will be very usefull in the future..
    My elemental shaman got a new spell ‘bind elemental’ or something which cc’s ofc elementals.

So I def. see use for this in future.

39. Monjur says:

About the glyphs I’d say replace CS, with improved judgments cause then you get 10% more Damage. Maybe i would consider the CS when your haste capped. then it’ll make more sense, I could be wrong, but hey, I’m just giving and opinion on this, I could be wrong.

40. Captoats says:

@ Monjur Judgements currently don’t hit very hard so the 10% is not as awesome as it was pre patch. Your third major glyph is better spent on CS.

I DEFINITELY think that Holy Wrath should be bought, for AoE if nothing else. Deathwing is the endgame boss, we are obviously going to be fighting dragonkin (a lot), and then there is Ragnaros (elementals). This simply has too much raid utility to pass up. Maybe not for all fights, but you should have it to switch out for certain situations.

And rebuke is by far the only major glyph that rets HAVE to have. Currently rebuke procs a seal upon hit, and since it is not on the GCD you can macro it into every move to get an extra seal proc every 10secs for no costs.

41. mikael says:

Hi there 🙂 i just love this site.

I wonderd if i did all correct on my pala now bc i try and still get out dpsed by lower.

can look at me on armory 🙂

name Oden
    realm The Shatar

whould be greatfull for some advice 🙂

TY

Mikael

42. Yasuma says:

For the optional Glyphs i also like to keep Glyph of Divine Protection in there for some fights as that can really save you. It reduces the physical damage you take by 20% however increases the Magical damage you resist by an additional 20%, so 40% magic reduction, which on fights like Sindragosa, Lich King, Festergut, Blood queen, Penetrating cold, pretty much any fight where theres magic damage going on throw on this glyph and it might posibly save you many times. Also seeing as it only has a 1 min cd now you can time it pretty well with encounter mechanics, Infest, Bloodbolt whirl, Pungient Blight etc.

43. Shoul says:

I’m kinda’ new to pally, but I’ve been playing mine more seriously since 4.0.1. On the Mana pool issue, I have an idea of how to keep the mana up on longer fights.

Considering Seal of Truth is our damage choice and it is a stacking debuff/dot, it has a duration. Once it is up to 5 stacks, would it be viable to swap to Seal of Insight if it doesn’t interfere with dps rotation and change back to Seal of Truth before the debuff wears off just to restart it?

44. fab says:

I have been playing a ret pally now for over a yr, and before the patch i had finally gotten this toon to avg about 3k in 5 mans , now i am barley going 2.3k and what is up with these 8k avg dps tanks i am seeing now, i keep switching things and reforging and its driving me nuts just trying to get back to where i at least was

45. Fulgora says:

Just an update to your info, Glyph of Lay on Hands is a major glyph – not a minor.

46. SilentDethh says:

well im a lvl 30 pally..and this glyph stuff is freaking confusing..i only had enough gold to by 1 glyph and i bought a lvl25 exorcism glyph not sure if that makes any sense but i bought it because it seems my exorcism does the most damage i do like 109 % dmg in dungeons..just confused with all the abreviations of thing lol..any help would be nice thanks..

ReT PaLLy’s DO RuLE!

47. jonas says:

Firstly, thanks for this great reference site! I just started playin’ in October, went Ret – love it, but of course, am facing the judgments of all the PUGs I find in the dungeons. There certainly are a lot of ’em. So I need all the help I can get!

One thing I wanted to mention, is that I’ve been using the Glyph of Holy Wrath since shortly before 80. I really dig it as we all know by now that Cata is riddled with Dragonkin and Elementals. I think this glyph has benefited me greatly as an interrupt is an interrupt! Especially in the dungeons. So I just wanted to throw some points in there for GoHW. Is anyone else using it? And how well do you like it?

48. Peanut says:

I am also using the Glyph of Holy Wrath and I love the interupts it provides, sometimes those spellcasters are a pain in my backside, but thins helps the entire part take less damage and helps us ultimately stay alive

49. gruul says:

lol the glyphs a paladin MUST have are Glyph of Templar’s Verdict, Glyph of Crusader Strike, Glyph of Seal of Truth, Glyph of Ascetic Crusader, Glyph of Hammer of Wrath, Glyph of Rebuke, Glyph of Blessing of might + king, Glyph of Truth.

50. Tixx says:

Khor, Is this up to date with the current glyphs that you recommend to the ret pallys for cata? I’m switching my offspec of tank to ret for raiding/instances. Was trying to find a good set up for glyphs. Thank you for having this awesome and helpful website.