Cataclysm Beta build 13221 is live on servers, and has brought about some more changes for our beloved Retribution Paladins. At first, looking at the notes, I was about to /facepalm, thinking Blizz was backtracking on our recent buffs. The more I looked at it however, the more I realized they are just doing some simple trade-offs.
Let’s take a look at the current notes relevant to Retribution Paladins. You can view the full list of changes at MMO Champion [Source]:
- Templar’s Verdict now deals 235% weapon damage with 3 Holy Power, up from 225%.
- Hammer of Wrath base damage has been reduced by 22%. From 4890-5404 to 3814-4215.
- Seal of Truth now scales from 12.85% of Attack Power and Spell Power (up from 12.5%) but now deals 15% weapon damage when stacked 5 times. Down from 16%.
- Crusader Strike now deals 115% weapon damage, down from 150%.
- Holy Wrath now scales from 61% of SpellPower, up from 30%. Base damage reduced by 22%, from 3122 to 2435.
- Exorcism now scales from 34.4% of SpellPower or AP, up from 15%. Base damage increased by 15% from 2343 to 2741.
- Lay on Hands no longer restores mana.
- Flash of Light base healing has been increased by 30%. From 5313-5961 to 6907-7750.
- Holy Light base healing has been increased by 30%. From 3202-3567 to 4162-4637.
- Divine Light base healing has been increased by 30%. From 8538-9512 to 11100-12366.
Templar’s Verdict – 10% damage increase. Can’t complain there.
Hammer of Wrath – Understandable nerf. With this hitting harder than Templar’s Verdict after the 4.0.1 adjustments, it’s easy to see why Blizz wanted to tune this down. Not to mention all the one-shotting that was going on in battlegrounds!
Seal of Truth – More or less balanced out.
Crusader Strike - This one hurts, and is obviously my least favorite. 115% weapon damage is pitiful. Let’s hope we see this jump back up. Our most commonly used attack joins Hammer of Wrath in the nerf department. I’m really hoping this gets buffed again before Cata launches.
Holy Wrath – Lets hope we see some benefit from this spell power buff, as they nerfed the base damage down quite a bit. This was already pretty underwhelming in terms of damage, considering it is spread out among all targets.
Exorcism – Once again Exorcism storms ahead in our rotations. We’ll wait to see how this plays out on live servers, but expect this to cruise in behind Crusader Strike, as Hammer of Wrath falls in priority.
Lay on Hands – While we continue to not have many mana issues, this still hurts.
Heals – General healing buffs. Great for Holy Paladins, but good for Rets too, as self heals are going to be used more in Cataclysm than they were in WotLK.