I’m giving you guys a heads up. The WoW economy is already taking its downward turn. Our gold making schemes will slowly dwindle, and then everything will bottom out as Cataclysm approaches. If you are anything like me, you will be wanting to save some gold for whatever Cataclysm has in store for us. Watch the market carefully, and earn your gold now while you can!
So, what exactly is leading to the downturn in the Auction Houses? Well, it’s a combination of factors, all meshed together.
- Summer time, many players on vacation.
- Increased population of kids 12 and under, who usually do not contribute much to the WoW economy in terms of larger, more serious (or raiding) purchases.
- ICC is becoming old content, many raiders and guilds are abandoning the citadel.
- With raid abandonment, enchants, cut gems, gear, and flasks all become low in demand. Ditto all their mats.
- Ruby Sanctum is only acting as a stabilizer for the market, just holding enough gear for players to upgrade a few select pieces. This will fade soon.
- Many players have maxed gear out on toons.
- With Cataclysm approaching, many players are tightening their expenses, saving more gold now for the looming xpac.
I’m not saying unload everything now. But I would keep a close eye on your normal gold-making routines. Cut gems on my server are going for nearly half of what they were a month and a half ago. Herbs and flasks are dropping, as are most other mats. Enchant scrolls are gathering dust. With less buyers purchasing our goods, competition and undercutting will get more severe.
I have already unloaded everything I want to before Cataclysm. I hit my 75k gold mark a few weeks ago, so I am set. Anything else on top of that will just be an extra bonus. The only thing remaining is my extra emblems. Do I buy gems now and sell them while I still can, or do I purchase the few remaining heirloom pieces I do not have? I’ll probably hit the heirloom items up just in case.
If you guys know any other solid gold making methods that are still goign strong, post them up here. The few I know of right now are:
- Scarlet Ruby cut gems (only gems still making a decent profit compared to a month ago).
- Leveling gear, especially pre-60.
- Vanilla WoW herbs and enchanting mats, as well as ore.
- Achievement related items (vanity pets, reputation items, etc). Players are becoming more achievement oriented with less raiding happening.